A big stack of bills can be overwhelming. Looking for energy-saving tips to lower your monthly utility bill? There are many things you can do every day that really stack up the savings when it comes to controlling your energy expenses.
Tips for Controlling Your Electricity Bill
To help, we’ve rounded up the top energy bill-reducing tips and tricks guaranteed to have a major impact on your wallet.
Keep your thermostat in check
One of the most common causes of high electric bills is letting your air conditioner or home heating system run excessively, even when you’re not home.
- In warmer months, it is recommended to keep your thermostat set at a balmy 78 degrees when you’re home.
- When you’re away, 88 degrees is the suggested temperature for helping lower your power bill.
- When fall and winter months roll around, consider setting your home’s temperature at 68 degrees, which should be high enough to keep you warm, and low enough to keep an expensive electric bill at bay.
- If you’re going to be out of the house for an extended period of time, turn it down even lower.
- Studies have shown that lowering the temperature on your thermostat between 10-15 degrees for a period of approximately eight hours can reduce your power bill by 5-15%–that can lead to major savings, month after month!
Be smart about your appliances
- Do you have a room in your house that’s rarely or even never in use? Maybe a guest room or playroom? If so, unplug any devices in that room, like lamps or televisions.
- Clothes washing machines, dryers, and dishwashers are among the top offenders when it comes to energy consumption—mainly because they’re used so frequently.
- When you’re running these appliances, only run them with full loads. Running them with less than full loads means you’ll be running them more often, which will burn up more energy and costs.
- It’s also important to note that you should not overload these machines, which can cause them to work in overdrive, draining more energy and possibly causing damage to the unit.
- Refrigerators—don’t let yourself be tempted to stand in front of the open fridge door, letting cold air escape while you browse for a snack.
- You should also check the seal to the fridge (and freezer) door to ensure that excess air isn’t escaping.
- Cooking during the hottest parts of the day isn’t advised when you’re trying to conserve more energy in your home.
- Another pro tip for preparing food in an energy-conscious way is to use smaller appliances instead of your stove or oven during peak temperature times.
- For example, consider using a toaster, toaster oven, or countertop grill instead of whipping up a meal in the oven or on the stovetop, which will add major heat to your home.
- In turn, your home’s A/C unit will kick into overdrive to try and cool the house down.
Look into prepaid energy plans
- Peso Power, the #1 retail energy provider in Texas, offers an array of prepaid energy plans, also known as “pay as you go electricity” plans, designed to help consumers save on their energy costs on the front end.
- Prepaid electricity works by allowing customers to pay a predetermined, set amount for their power before it is even used.
- Consumers enrolled in prepaid plans have the ability to track their energy consumption in real-time, thanks to the data recorded by Smart Meters.
- Smart Meters are electronic devices installed in customers’ homes to track this data.
- Consumers can then monitor the data to make the necessary adjustments needed to stay on track with their preset budget.
- The Peso Power team will also analyze your household’s energy usage data in order to provide you with additional ways to save energy—and money.
- Prepaid customers can view their account balance at any time, as well as add funds whenever needed to tide your account over until the next billing cycle begins.
- Customers can receive account alerts however they prefer—via phone, text, or email.
- No long-term contracts for Peso Power customers allow you flexibility without feeling locked into anything.
- Texans who opt for traditional payment methods can enroll in one of Peso Power’s postpaid or small business energy plans—there’s truly something for everyone at Peso Power!
- With small business energy plans, consumers can save on their power bills at home and at work.
- The Peso Power team is always rolling out new and exciting promotions and rates to help you cut even more costs from your power bill—no matter what type of electricity plan you choose—prepaid, postpaid, or small business plans.
Are you ready to start saving? Then start today!
Call, email, or visit our contact page and enroll in one of Peso Power’s prepaid, postpaid, or small business energy plans—available with NO credit check, NO deposit, and NO SSN or ID required!